I found this recipe on Vegetarian Times Website. It is Delicious! I really didn't make any changes to the recipe except for the pepper. I didn't have green chile peppers so I used a ripe jalapeno instead. It added a nice kick to the fritters, which we really liked. I served this with vegetarian fajita quinoa with black beans and corn.
Zucchini Fritter Gyros (adapted from the Vegetarian Times Website)
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 lb. zucchini, coarsely grated
1 large egg
1 ripe jalapeño
1 green onion, chopped (2 Tbs.)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
2 Tbs. olive oil
¾ cup homemade hummus
2 pita breads, halved and warmed
a mix of garden fresh tomatoes to which you have added some fresh, chopped mint and basil
1 red onion, thinly sliced, dressed with a tablespoon of seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 cups chopped sorrel
1. Stir together yogurt and lemon zest in small bowl. Set aside.
2. Wrap grated zucchini in clean kitchen towel, and wring out excess moisture.
3. Whisk egg in large bowl. Stir in zucchini, green chilies, green onion, and garlic. Sprinkle mixture with flour and baking powder, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Drop 6 heaping tablespoons zucchini mixture into skillet, and gently flatten. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate, and repeat with remaining zucchini mixture.
5. Spread 2 Tbs. hummus inside each pita half. Fill with 2 tomato slices, 2 zucchini cakes, red onion slices, and ⅓ cup chopped sorrel. Drizzle each gyro with 2 Tbs. yogurt mixture.
Note: I also added chopped Kalamata olives. I added chopped mint and basil to the tomatoes and seasoned rice wine vinegar to the red onion. I used fresh garden sorrel for the lettuce and my recipe for hummus. You can find that HERE at my recipe links.
Chopped Olives, Earthy Hummus and a blend of Garden Heirloom Tomatoes dressed with Basil and Mint.
Fresh from the garden Sorrel, Lemony Yogurt and Red Onion with Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar.