Monday, July 30, 2012

Lemon Verbena Jelly


I finally made Lemon Verbena Lady's lemon verbena jelly.

The only thing I did differently from her recipe was to add a teaspoon of fresh lemon zest.  We have so many lemons that I generally add it to as many recipes as I can! I like the little specks of the zest in the jelly, it looks like little topaz stones glistening in the light.

Start sterilizing your jars first.
Put lids and rings in a separate saucepan, add hot water, don't boil, just keep hot on a low simmer while you prepare the jelly.
I used 2 cups of leaves and some blossoms.
I use a coffee filter to strain the infusion.
This will remove all of the tiny particulates that may be on the leaves.  My Lemon Verbena was also in bloom when I harvested the leaves and I used some blossoms as well.
Straining the infusion.
Nice, clear pretty infusion ready to measure and heat.
Cider vinegar and Lemon Zest
Full rolling boil after adding the pectin. Boil 1 minute only.


Process filled jars in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
This jelly is so delicious; whole grain bread a bit of the jelly and goat cheese would be delightful snack.

If you don't have a plant, look for one. You can use the leaves for tea, or the Lemon Bread recipe.  I also make a Lemon Verbena and Tarragon Sorbet that is nice to have for dessert on these warm nights.

Click on the photo to enlarge.
Here is my Lemon Verbena plant. It stands at least 5' tall and as wide.
Closer view of  the flower is on the lower right.
Sneaking in the photo on the top left is the flower from Purpletop Vervain (Verbena bonariensis) which is growing in the background.  It uses the Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla) for support.







8 comments:

  1. Very nice, Carla! Looks so beautiful when you make it! I made my first batch last week! We're off and running! xxoo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I even mixed a little of it in a bean salad I made. Oh my gosh it is so good. Now I just need to make up a batch of scones!

      Delete
  2. I just finished making this. It tastes like cough syrup. It didn't gel either so it IS exactly like cough syrup. I think it's a good idea in theory, maybe my leaves were too old or something but unfortunately it didn't work out for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is too bad. Mine is delicious. Not sure why yours turned out like cough syrup, maybe with it not setting up right affected the flavor. This is one of my husbands favorite jellies.

      Delete
  3. I just purchased my first verbena plant today. I can't wait for it to grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly, I think you will really love the lemon verbena plant. It also makes wonderful tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually read to add 15 min if canning at 7000', would this apply to jelly as well, in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, I am not familiar with the requirements for canning at 7000 ft. Check out Ball Canning website and see what they have to say about jelly making.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from you.