Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tuscan Kale & Cannellini Bean Salad

My salad was inspired by a recipe that I found on Dr. Weil's site.  I have made his version many times since.  Today I decided to add some Cannellini beans to the mix which resulted in this recipe.

2 bunches of Lacinato Kale, washed dried and center stem removed (about 6 cups)
2 - 4 Tbsp Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
Zest from one Lemon
2 - 4 Tbsp excellent quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used 2 Tbsp)
2-3 cloves fresh Garlic, minced
1 ounce (about 1/3 cup) finely grated Asiago or Parmesan Cheese
9 ounces cooked, drained Cannellini Beans. If using canned, rinse under cool water and drain well. (use the no salt added)
A few grinds of fresh Black Pepper
Sea Salt to your taste


In a 2 qt bowl place the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper and mix lightly.  Stack the kale leaves and slice very thin and cut into bite size pieces.  Toss Kale into the bowl with the olive oil, garlic, etc. and massage the leaves to incorporate the lemon juice.  This process will soften the leaves and make them a dark, rich color. Toss and mix in the grated Asiago Cheese and Cannellini beans.  Cover and let stand at least 5 minutes, the longer the better. I generally make this a few hours before I plan on using it, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Here is a video of Dr. Weil at True Food Kitchen making Tuscan Kale Salad. I have omitted the red pepper flakes as I did not like the punch it gave to my salad. I also omitted the bread crumbs as I didn't feel it needed it. But try it that way first, and see what you think or add a little to one serving.

**(Tbsp=tablespoon)

Cleaned kale with center stem removed, ready for chopping.
Lacinato kale has a flatter, longer leaf than traditional curly kale. Be sure to give this one a try, but if you have trouble finding it you can always use the curly leaf varieties.


8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and sounds oh so healthy too. I've got Cavalo Nero and Cannellinis growing in the Little Herb Farm's vegetable patch, so will be trying this recipe next week. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, I think you will really enjoy this. The lemon really adds a nice tang to the kale and garlic.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to add the cannellini beans. Yum. I love cooking kale, adding it at the last minute to soups, and "massaging" it as taught to me by the Tassajara cookbook author.

    I'll give this one a try on the weekend when we've stocked up on our new supply of farmer's market kale.

    Herbal blessings,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salad looks great. Sadly we never got the kale planted this year. Maybe Ill break down and buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, I have the bread cookbook from Tassajara. I remember I bought it at People's Food in Encinitas back in the late 70's. Boy you brought back some memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, I generally have to buy mine also. I planted some last weekend because we grow it in the winter months here. Thankfully the farmers markets seem to carry it year round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious and sounds yummy, very nutritious.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, thank you for stopping by! This is a very good salad and so simple to make. This is one from Dr. Weil's site.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from you.