Tuesday, February 15, 2011

1 Potato, 2 Potato, 3 Potato 4, Soup

“Pray for peace and grace and spiritual food,
For wisdom and guidance, for all these are good,
but don't forget the potatoes.”

John Tyler Pettee, 'Prayer and Potatoes
Potato soup is comfort food at it's best!  This version uses sweet potato, white potato, red potato and baking potatoes.  All of which are high in vitamins and minerals. 

 4 Potato Soup

Serves 6
¼ pound ham (or bacon) diced and browned
1 pound leeks, white part only, washed and chopped (about 3)

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
4 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth

2 cups russet potato, peeled and diced
2 cups red potato, peeled and diced
2 cups white boiling potato, peeled and diced

2 cups sweet potato (or yam) peeled and diced

1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly ground if possible)

¼ teaspoon ground pepper, (I used white)

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Additional chicken broth if needed

1.       In a small saucepan brown the ham, cool and set aside. If using bacon dice first then cook until crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside.

2.       In a large soup pot or dutch oven, saute the leeks using some of the chicken broth to “water sauté” until softened but not browned, about 15 minutes.  Add additional broth as needed to keep from sticking and browning.

3.       Add the flour and cook for 30 seconds.  Add the broth, fresh thyme leaves,  the potatoes and sweet potato.  Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a low simmer and cover.  Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly. 

4.       Place small amounts of soup in a blender, puree until smooth.  You may also use a hand blender such as Braun, which is what I do.  Be careful if using either method as it can squirt up and burn you or make a mess on the stove and you.

5.       Pour the soup back into the pan and add the nutmeg and white pepper.  Over very low heat, bring soup to a low simmer.

6.       Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with diced ham (or bacon) and chopped parsley.

 

Nutritional Information Provided by NutriMirror

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful recipe. I love it that you also give the nutritional information.

    Carla, thanks for stopping by my newest posting. I've tried to leave a comment on your other blog, but it won't go through.

    Herbal blessings,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visit Sharon. I will check to see it the mail went through from my Thyme in a Bottle blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my my my! So gourmet, Carla! I have missed reading up on blogs! I'm so glad you started two. I don't know how well I'll do keeping up, but I always love visiting and seeing what you have done. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from you.