Friday, January 13, 2012

Julio's Hot Carrots

Julio's Hot Carrots
I was up early this morning cutting up vegetables and realized I had an abundance of fresh carrots.  I remembered having a recipe for hot carrots that I have not made in some time.

You know those hot carrots that you are served in Mexican restaurants or fast food Mexican restaurants, well now you can make your own.

This recipe is one that I have been making for over 30 years.  I believe it came from Julio's Mexican Restaurant in San Diego. 

The original recipe uses canned Jalapeños, but my version uses fresh and since I have some still growing in the garden I used one of those; I also never liked the taste of the brine from the canned Jalapeno's but if that is all you can find, you could just drain them and then follow with my version.  You can also adjust the spiciness by using a milder pepper, like a Poblano or Anaheim if you like. The longer the pepper stays in the mix the hotter your carrots will be.


Julio’s Hot Carrots

Original Recipe:

1 gallon fresh carrots, sliced about ⅛ inch thick
1 -12 or 13 ounce can of whole Jalapeños in juice
2 onions thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons oil
1 cup Vinegar
Salt and Pepper

Lightly blanch carrots to firm tender. Drain; add Jalapeños with juice, onions, oil, vinegar and salt and pepper. Chill overnight.


My Version:

1 quart fresh Carrots, thinly sliced to ⅛ inch (about 6 large carrots)
1-2 fresh Jalapeño, cut in half lengthwise (depending on degree of spice you want)
1-2 white Onions, sliced thin
Brine:
2 Tablespoons dried Mexican Oregano
½ teaspoon Sea Salt
1 ½ cups White Vinegar (cider vinegar will be fine also)
1-2 cups of water (or to fill jar)

Place brine ingredients in saucepan and heat to boiling. Toss carrots and onions together and place in large canning jar or bowl that has a tight fitting lid.   

Pour hot brine over carrots, onions and Jalapeño. Let cool; cover and refrigerate. Allow at least 2 days for brine to penetrate the carrots. The longer they marinate the better. These will keep for months in the refrigerator, but keep in mind that the carrots will soften over time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from you.