Monday, October 21, 2013

Colorful Collard Greens and Brussel Sprout Slaw with Pomegranate Seeds


Super easy and healthy alternative to a oil or mayonnaise laden slaw.


Colorful Collard Greens and Brussel Sprout Slaw with Pomegranate Seeds

Serves 8-10
3 cups thinly sliced Collard Greens, stems removed before slicing
3 cups thinly sliced Brussel Sprouts
1 large Fuji apple (8 oz.), unpeeled, cored, cut in eights and thinly sliced (any sweet apple will work here)
¼ cup Golden Raisin, chopped
cup Pomegranate Aril's **
3 tablespoons Fresh Mint, minced
¾ teaspoon sea salt

Pomegranates (Punica granatum) on our tree
Vinaigrette

Juice from 1 to 2 large lime (you need about 4 tablespoons)
1-2 tablespoon Honey (I used an Avocado Honey which is a dark honey with bold flavors)
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard (I used a whole grain Dijon Mustard from Trader Joe’s)

Combine Collard Greens, Brussel Sprouts, Mint and sea salt in a large bowl, toss to combine. Add Raisins, Pomegranate and Apple, toss to combine.  In a small bowl mix together the Vinaigrette ingredients, pour over the salad and toss to combine.   

This salad will hold up for about one day before the dressing will “cook” the greens and wilt them.  I still enjoy it, but it looks best when served the first day.

We also love this in veggie wraps!

**Pomegranate Arils are the name of the juicy red covered seeds in a pomegranate.  Pomegranate trees are thought to have originated in Iran, and they were brought to Mexico and California by the Spanish in 1769.  

The first time I had a pomegranate was here in Southern California at the age of 10.  I have loved them ever since and am so fortunate to have a tree thriving in my backyard.

It makes a big bowl.


We only have about 40 this year since I pruned it back so much the year before. Next year I will have more than I can use.


The Scrub Jays have been pecking at these and the ants move in once they are open, rendering the remaining berries useless to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from you.