Thursday, September 25, 2014

Vegetable Stuffed Baked Potato


You can barely see the potato under all of my goodies.

I often eat a baked potato for breakfast.  I love to combine different vegetables that I have sauteed up and top the potato with them.  This is a simple recipe, and you can add whatever fresh vegetables you have available to the recipe.  This is what I had ready today.  The eggplant is from my garden, I had one lone San Marzano tomato that I picked this morning, and added a few of the bell peppers that I picked a week or so ago.

Vegetable Stuffed Baked Potato

Get the potato in the oven about 30 minutes before you begin to saute your vegetables, or you can microwave it for about 5 minutes, but you will not have the nice crunchy crust on the skin if you use a microwave.  I often bake up several and keep them in the refrigerator if I think I want more during the week ahead.

1 small baked potato

Filling:
1 small eggplant, diced (about 3/4 cup)
1 San Marzano plum tomato, diced
1/4 cup brown onion, diced
1/2 cup diced bell peppers in assorted colors
2 big handfuls of arugula, (about 2 cups)
Assorted fresh herbs from the garden (today I used sweet marjoram, Kaliteri oregano, and French thyme)
Olive Oil
1/3 of an avocado, diced

Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in a small skillet.  Saute the vegetables until just tender, but still firm.  This will take about 10 minutes if you are using eggplant.  Now all you do is slice open your potato, mush it up a bit by pushing together at either end to get the potato puffed up a bit in the center.  Add your sauteed vegetables to the top, sprinkle with some fresh herbs, a pinch of salt and pepper and top off the plate with some diced avocado.  That's it folks!

I used small  5 ounce potato

Eggplant, Onion, Tomato, Arugula, and Bell Peppers in 3 colors
Top left: Sweet Marjoram.  Top right: Kaliteri Oregano.  Bottom left: French Thyme
Kaliteri means "The Best" in Greek.  This oregano has a very high oil content and is grown commercially in Greece for the high quality.  It has become my favorite oregano to use in my cooking.  I often use it in place of my Mexican oregano in my southwest recipes.  It has such a wonderful flavor and the plant grows more upright than most oregano's that tend to hug the ground.  It makes itself known when you brush your leg up against it, releasing its fragrance into the air as you pass by.

I just used the small one on the left in my recipe today, it was only about 3 inches 

Be sure to stop by THYME in a BOTTLE to see my breakfast in the garden with Tasha Tudor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from you.